WALLSTREETFIGHTER
WALLSTREETFIGHTER, Attorney
Experience:  14 years experience in representing clients, current member of legalshield, legal club of america, NYSUT and UFT attorney
16356563

I volunteer for a charity (dog rescue). Sometimes we place

I volunteer for a charity (dog rescue). Sometimes we place unadopted dogs in foster homes until we can find them a permanent home. Families who want to foster a dog fill out a foster agreement and then take care of the dog until that dog gets adopted. One of our foster families has decided they want to keep the dog they're fostering. This is fine but they must sign the adoption papers and pay the adoption donation. This particular family refuses to sign the papers and pay the adoption donation, and they refuse to return the dog. Because they have fostered dogs several times before this, we had a good rapport with them so we filled in (2) copies of the adoption papers and mailed them to the family. One copy was for them to keep and one copy was to be returned. Both copies were signed by us, as we assumed there would not be a problem with signing the copies in advance. What do I do now? I either want the signed papers and adoption fee, or I want the dog back. Do I have a case? The only thing that makes me question if I have a case or not is that fact that this family now holds adoption papers with my signature on them. Please advise.

WALLSTREETLAW :

Hello I am a licensed attorney. I am here to help answer your questions. Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification

WALLSTREETLAW :

This is an unfortunate situation,

WALLSTREETLAW :

you can bring them to small claims court, since they did not pay any adoption fee,

WALLSTREETLAW :

you would be entitled to the dog back, also the fact they did not sign the adoption forms will be evidence on your part,

WALLSTREETLAW :

even if they claim the adoption papers were signed by them, and valid,

WALLSTREETLAW :

the fact remains they did not pay any donation,

WALLSTREETLAW :

you would have to check your policy to make sure that you had language that stipulates that if a donation is not paid you have the rights to cancel the adoption.

WALLSTREETLAW :

Also, you should have a disclaimer allowing you to terminate any adoption at anytime,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. I find it very helpful. Because I know it would be difficult (maybe impossible) for me to collect any monetary judgement from this couple, am I able to go into court and ask for possession of my dog, instead of a monetary judgement?

yes, you can go to court, even try small claims court, and ask for return of the dog.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. You've been very helpful.

good luck