Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

insurance law? can you carry auto insurance on a car thats

Customer Question

insurance law?
can you carry auto insurance on a car thats in someone else's name, but that they allow u to drive?

reason i ask is bec lets use a example.. johndoe owns a truck, he is going to let his son drive it,but he makes his son carry insurance on it while hes driving it. the son goes down and gets the state minimums. after getting home he reads the policy. it states in the fine print (if the vehichle is sold, then the insurance is terminated at that time also).

the son was wondering if him not being the owner could affect the insurance policy in this case somehow?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

I realize that this is a bit of a confusing area, but typically vehicles, if not owned or titled under the person's name, cannot be insured by a third party. That person must have what is known as 'insurable interest', or some sort of a direct claim to the vehicle. Otherwise a vehicle must be insured by the owner of the vehicle--the person who is on title. If the son gets into an accident an the insurer finds out that the son does not own the vehicle, they may legally deny coverage, so it absolutely can affect his policy in this instance.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can the son add himself to the fathers vehiccle title as a lein holder and then be in good standing then?

Jb,

Thank you for your follow-up. The son cannot add himself to title--the parent who owns the vehicle must add the son to title as co-owner. Placing a lien is not obtaining ownership, it is simply showing an interest in the asset--that does not grant property rights. Only a title change would do so in this instance.

Good luck.