TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

If my vehicle has a recall and damages have been done by a

Customer Question

If my vehicle has a recall and damages have been done by a defective part. Do I have to pay for any repairs on my vehicle
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

If your vehicles was damaged by a defective part, and there is a recall to fix the defective part, then you may have an argument that the manufacturer is responsible for fixing the damage done by the defective part. It would depend on whether you have a warranty that would cover the defective part, and if not, whether the defective part was serious enough such that the vehicle was not merchantable. In most cases, I would say that it is unlikely that the manufacturer would be liable if there is no warranty, but I can't rule it out completely, since it depends on the seriousness of the recalled part.

If I were you, I would take it to a dealer and demand that all of the damage caused by the defective part be fixed at no charge. The dealer and manufacturer may give in to keep a customer happy. If they refuse, then suing is the only option, though you'd certainly want an attorney for that type of case in order to asses the strength of the case.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, your positive feedback is much appreciated. Thank you for using our service!

If you would like to direct additional legal questions to me in the future, then please type "To VAMD" in the subject line of your question.