Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

I wasnt informed of a court date for a judgement after default.

Customer Question

I wasn't informed of a court date for a judgement after default. Now, I have this on my credit record. I tried contacting the plaintiff after receiving summons to attempt to resolve. They told me that they will send me some forms to fill out in order to start the payment process. I never received the papers. Is there anything that I can do to counter the judgement after default?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that you are in this situation. When did the hearing take place, how long ago? I am asking to see if you still have time to possibly appeal the hearing or not, thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for wanting to help me Dimitry. The letter I received today shows "The default of Defendants has been entered the 24 day of June, 2013". So, I assume it happened yesterday.

That is positive news. Well, not exactly positive, but you still have potential time to resolve it. You may want to consider contacting the courthouse early tomorrow and finding out exactly when the hearing took place. Then file a motion to 'set aside' the judgment on grounds that there was lack of notice to you. Without notice the courts cannot really make a decision, so if you are asking for a re-hearing because you were never served, the courts are able to grant such a request especially if you make it within the first 30 days of when the judgment was entered against you. This appears to be exactly that type of situation. Please consider reaching out to the clerk and then obtaining the forms necessary to file for this re-hearing.

Hope that helps.