How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27009
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have Ben convicted of a crime in FL. And sentenced. Than

This answer was rated:

I have Ben convicted of a crime in FL. And sentenced. Than I left the country for almost 10 yrs. without a passport now I need to go back and live in another state. What will happen to me if I just go to the embassy with birth certificate and SS. Card can they charge me for leaving the country without a passport? The crimes are not federal even on the police record says FL. Pickup only. If I can't go to the embassy what would you recommend?

Welcome and thank you for your question


I am an
attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to
providing you true and correct information in this regard.

remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up
questions, please post them here for full and accurate information
before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I
thank you in advance for your positive rating

Just so I am clear - You never served your sentence? What was the crime?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No I never served my sentence there all drug charges the biggest one is possession of 200 grams of cocaine



Thank you


I suggest that if you go to get a passport your warrant for your arrest is going to come up and you will not be able to get a passport or return to the US. Though they may arrest you and send you to Florida


Because you did not serve your sentence and left the country you are a Fugitive from Justice.



Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Even though its not federal and there's no extradition from one state to another why would they extradite from a foreign country? And is it a crime to leave the US without a passport can they charge me for that?



What is no extradite - You mean you would not travel into Flordia but maybe instead CA?


That is not the issue The issue is you are a fugitive from justice and so even if you get a passport from the country you are in - at point of entry they are going to detain you. Now, they will detain you until it is determined that Florida does not want to extradite you. And so you will be arrested before you are released. Also, it may be very well that at point of entry because you are a felon fugitive they will not allow you in to the US at all.


It is not a crime in the US to leave without a passport. So no, you cannot be charged with such a crime.

I suggest, however you will run into other problems such as I mentioned above.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok so just to be clear if I go to an embassy you think they will arrest me there and send me back even if FL. Can't touch me out of the state?

Well, what country are you in? Are you a US Citizen?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm in Costa Rica and yes I'm a US citizen I came here on a boat 10 yrs ago on a boat and now I need to get back I've never had a passport this is what's called young and dumb but still I need to fix this.I plan on fighting the charges when I get back but I need to get back first plz Healp even opinions would be ok just tell me if its an opinion thanks!


Unfortunately, Costa Rica has an extradition tready with the US - That means the Embassy would have to send you back.

You cannot get assulym from the US Embassy as a fugitive.

If you have to get back, then I suggest you will want to go to the embassy and turn yourself in. It's a free ticket home. However I suggest you will also want to contact a local attorney in Florida - who will be able to meet you when you arrive and then try to handle things.

There is no way they are going to just set aside a conviction and a sentence. You are a fugitive from Justice. So you will have to be in Florida jail until your attorney can try to get a new trial, etc or whatever it is you are seeking.

Im sorry that it is not better news for you in this regard.

I suppose the only other option is to go to the Embassy and try to get the passport. Who knows, maybe nothing will come up. But the worst scenario is they detain you for extradiction.

If you happen to get the passport, then you only would have to be concerned with your point of entry into the States and if they will detain you in another state since Florida will not extradite.

Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27009
Experience: More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Sam and 12 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.