Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Regus Group bought out my virtual office company where I was

Customer Question

Regus Group bought out my virtual office company where I was leasing. I had a 5 month to month lease that I canceled via email in January. They are claiming that I should have canceled in December before my new lease began. I paid the $119.95 (my monthly charge) for January and February but received a $320 invoice on February 15 due on March 1. I called the Manager of the property and he stated he would get back with me. Called him 3 times and he always stated he would get back with me. Starting in April, a representative from Regus called every month and when I would try to explain the problem, they would claim they would have to get back with me because their computer was down or too slow - they never called back and Regus does not give out their contact info. Now they have turned my account over to a collection agency and they are saying I have to pay over $700. Again, I have tried to explain the situation and they also state they will get back with me but they never call back. I am willing to make some kind of amicable settlement with them, but they said Regus will not agree to anything but the full amount. Will they now sue me and small claims court? And do I stand a chance to refute these charges or should I just pay them and be done with it?
Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

While the contract was renewed in January because you did not provide notice before the former contract expired, does the contract renew for an additional 5 months or does the language indicate that the tenancy becomes a month to month tenancy following renewal based on the language of the agreement?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Automatic 5 month renewal at same monthly fee.

Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
I see. Given that the contract does provide for a 5 month renewal if it is not terminated before the original contract expired, you would typically owe the company rent for the entire five months. While parties to a contract do normally have a duty to mitigate damages, since this involved a virtual rental, I would not expect a court to impose that duty on the company under these circumstances.

I'm sorry to say that I would typically seek to negotiate a settlement of the claim under these circumstances since it does appear the company is owed the 5 months rental fees assuming they did continue to provide you access to the virtual rental for the entire 5 month period.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You did not answer my question regarding whether they will take me to court. They are not amicable to my paying for the 5 months which would be $599 rather they want $720.

Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

It is impossible for me to say whether the company will choose to file suit against you as that is up to them. However, they would have the right to do so. Given that, it would normally be best to negotiate a settlement with them if at all possible. They would be entitled to the rent only normally unless the agreement you entered into with them indicates that they are also entitled to collection costs.
Tina, Lawyer
Experience: JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-tina/. I look forward to hearing from you again.