Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

Hi, I had hired a discrimination lawyer to represent me to

Customer Question

Hi, I had hired a discrimination lawyer to represent me to sue for wrongful termination. I hsd signed a paper saying I would pay a non refundable fee of 5000. She agreed to let me pay in installment. She let one case get dismiss because she failed to give the right address to the new office she move to. And the statute of limitation to file a complaint with the eeoc passed because she never followed up with them to see if they received her complaint. So I have no lawsuit but she says I still owe the rest of 5000. Can she sue me even though she messed up my case.
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with Excellent Service,

I am so sorry to hear about how your lawyer mishandled your case.

How much have you paid her so far ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I paid 3, 800

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oops, ma'am it was a non refundable retainer fee. Im sorry I realized I left that out

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Ereka, Thank you for your additional information, and no problem. We have Rules that govern these situations and in most States, the Attorney Disciplinary Board, the Committee that constantly looks over our shoulder, does not permit an Attorney to collect from a client anything even remotely related to a "Non-refundable" fee

You asked,

"So I have no lawsuit but she says I still owe the rest of 5000. Can she sue me even though she messed up my case."

Answer

Not only do you not owe her any more money, but you should immediately take the following steps,

1. Make written demand for a full refund;

2. Immediately find a lawyer experienced in legal malpractice litigation;

3. Report her to the Maryland Attorney Disciplinary Board

1. The Maryland Code of Ethics, Code of Professional Conduct and Disciplinary Rules prohibit an attorney from keeping any part of a fee which they have not earned. I do not know what her hourly rate is, but I seriously doubt that she earned $5,000 simply for drafting a Complaint. Even so, I can tell that she is not very experienced because most Attorneys usually take these cases on a contingent fee which means that the client does not have any out of pocket legal fees or expenses and the lawyer gets paid from any settlement, judgment, or verdict in favor of the client;

2. The manner in which this lawyer mishandled your case amounts to legal malpractice. You should sue her for the amount you would have received had the lawyer not mishandled your case. You can call the Maryland Bar Association, tell them what your situation is and ask for the names of a few lawyers with experience in legal malpractice litigation;

3. The fact that the lawyer is demanding payment for work she did not do, but also caused you to lose your case because of the Statute of Limitations, is enough of a reason to report her to the Maryland Attorney Disciplinary Board/Grievance Committee. Here is their Official Website where you will find their contact information and an Official Complaint Form:

Maryland Attorney Grievance Committee - http://www.courts.state.md.us/attygrievance/complaint.html

Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you,

Bonus and Positive Feedback on survey is very much appreciated,

ANDREA

Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience: 25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank u so much f

or your excellent service and response. I am doing the happy dance right now. Lol.

You are very welcome, Ereka, It was my pleasure

ANDREA