Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
11182422

Hello! I am a recipient of Social Security Disability benefits.

Hello!
I am a recipient of Social Security Disability benefits. A friend, who is out of the country, has asked me to accept a bank to bank transfer for him. Everything is supposed to be in his name. Can I legally do this without putting myself in jeopardy?
Thank you!
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 1 year ago.

Brandon M. :

Hello there.

Customer:

Hi!

Brandon M. :

Hi, thank you for your question.

Customer:

So, what is your answer?

Brandon M. :

Why is your friend wanting the funds to be transferred in this way?

Customer:

You're most welcome.

Customer:

I'm not sure. I'm leery, at the least.

Brandon M. :

My first concern would be that you could be used as an accomplice to launder money.

Brandon M. :

Would you receive any benefit for allowing this transfer?

Customer:

He says the funds were secured in Iraq. Then, picked up by a General with the Marines. A bank in London supposedly has them. I have the name of an attorney that he gave me in regards XXXXX XXXXX I would proceed.

Customer:

Money laudering was my first thought!

Customer:

I haven't asked for any compensation. It's supposed to be 30% of $16.2m.

Brandon M. :

I apologize, but I am not sure that I understand. Are you saying that you are being offered 30% of $16.2M to allow this transfer to take place?

Customer:

Yes, he is to recieve 30% of $16.2m.

Customer:

I am not offered anything!!!!

Brandon M. :

Ok, so you would get nothing in return, correct?

Customer:

Supposedly, he is in "love!" Right!!!

Customer:

I don't believe that either.

Customer:

Frankly, I think dude is a con!!

Customer:

I am to receive nothing that I know of!

Brandon M. :

So given those circumstances, what possible reason would there be for cooperating? You get nothing, it appears that it could make you a part of some money laundering scheme, and it can't even be adequately explained why he needs you involved in the first place. There is nothing to gain and a tremendous amount to lose. Personally, I would tell him "no".

Customer:

That was my thinking! I just wanted to hear it from a legal perspective!

Brandon M. :

Glad I could help. Did you have any other question?

Customer:

You helped a LOT!!!! Thank you!!!

Customer:

No other questions. Thank you!

Brandon M. :

It was my pleasure. I wish you the best.

Customer:

Should I just say it would adversely affect my interests?

Customer:

Thank you!!

Brandon M. :

How to phrase it is a personal decision. Personally, I would probably just say that it's not something I can help with. No further explanation should be needed.

Customer:

That's a great answer! Thank you! Have a great night!

Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience: Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.