Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
11182422

I have been scammed by a moving because of their not forthcoming

I have been scammed by a moving because of their not forthcoming information and neglience of cust servervice. Also because of my negligence and ignorance of not reading the fine print that was different from what I was quoted. I am unale to pay moving cost which more than doubled. But, my question is if there is a legal way to get my important legal papers, IRA acct and social security info before they fall into the wrong hands. I am moving to another state and I am between a rock and a hard place.

Brandon M. :

Hello there.

Brandon M. :

Thank you for your question. You asked if there is a legal way to get your important legal papers before they fall into the wrong hands. I just need a bit of clarification. Are you asking how get the moving company to surrender that information to you so they no longer have it?

Customer:

Yes, I would like to have my important papers. I was told it is futile to try to get my furniture without paying full amount.

Brandon M. :

I'm still a bit confused. Are we talking about personal business records that they have in their possession because they moved them, or are we talking about information that you gave to them?

Customer:

I am referring to personal business records that they have in their possession because they moved them.

Brandon M. :

Thank you for that clarification. So they're basically holding the documents hostage until you pay, is that correct?

Customer:

They really have not given me a definite answer. Just a run around about the exhorbant moving fee. They just keep talking over me about contract. Do I have any legal recourse?

Brandon M. :

Thanks. I should start by saying that because the nuances of every situation are different, this information should not be construed as complete or advice without consulting in person with counsel. That said, there are typically two options available when a moving or storage company has withheld return of their goods. The first is to contact the NJ Department of Law & Safety Division of Consumer Affairs. Complaints may be made by phone. The numbers are(NNN) NNN-NNNNor(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Brandon M. :

The second option is to file suit against the moving or storage company through something called an action of replevin. An action of replevin is basically a lawsuit alleging that someone has something that belongs to the plaintiff and doesn't have a right to possess it.

Customer:

Thank you. At least you have given me somewhere to start

Brandon M. :

Certainly. I obviously have my hands a bit tied in these matters, but my hope is always to give folks information that points them in the right direction.

Brandon M. :

Is there anything else I can answer for you?