Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.

I OWN A AUCTION HOUSE, DO I HAVE THE RIGHT TO KEEP OUT CERTAIN

Customer Question

I OWN A AUCTION HOUSE, DO I HAVE THE RIGHT TO KEEP OUT CERTAIN PEOPLE FROM THE AUCTION THAT HAVE CAUSED TROUBLE IN THE PAST OR THREATENED TO CAUSE TROUBLE IN THE FUTURE.
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

TexLawyer :

Good evening. I'll be assisting you with your question.

TexLawyer :

To answer your question directly, yes, you do have that right.

TexLawyer :

You can exclude anyone you want from your business, so long as you are not doing so on the basis of them being a member of some protected class (e.g. race, nationality, etc.).

TexLawyer :

If you are excluding someone because they have caused problems in the past, you are well within your right to exclude them.

Customer:

HOW DO I LEGALLY GO ABOUT MAKING THIS FELLOW LEAVE THE PROPERTY, SOMEONE TOLD ME I CANNOT TOUCH HIM OR ITS ASSAULT.

TexLawyer :

That is correct advice. You need to call the police and have them issue a trespass warning. If he comes back, he can be arrested for criminal trespass.

Customer:

OUR LOCAL POLICE WILL NOT INTERVENE THEY SAY ITS A CIVIL MATTER, SHOULD I CALL IN THE STATE POLICE.

TexLawyer :

If he is there and refuses to leave, the police should handle it. If not, yes, call the state police.

TexLawyer :

This is a potentially criminal matter, so you need to take it "up the chain" with the police department. They should be responding.

Customer:

THANK YOU, XXXXX XXXXX POLICE FORCE IS LIKE THE GOOD OLE BOYS NETWORK THEY WILL NOT DO ANYTHING TO THERE BUDDIES. I WILL CALL THE STATE POLICE HEADQUARTERS ITS JUST 12 MILES FROM US.

TexLawyer :

That is probably the best you can do. It is a shame the police department won't respond because it is probably technically their jurisdiction. It is really frustrating for a citizen when the police won't do their job, because oftentimes there aren't any alternatives.

TexLawyer :

Can I do anything else for you?

Customer:

NOPE YOU ANSWERED IT ALL THANKS.

TexLawyer :

Glad to help.

Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience: Experienced in both state and federal court.