Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.

someone is saying that a package of illegal pharmaceuticals

Customer Question

someone is saying that a package of illegal pharmaceuticals is addressed to me at "customs" and they want a "prescription" or cops will be at my door.

this sounds like a scam? how do i proceed?
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

TexLawyer :

Good evening. I'll be assisting you with your question.

TexLawyer :

Who has contacted you?

Customer:

i did order a non descript package, and sent money stupidly via western union. now the supposed "EMS" person is saying that its prescription illegal drugs and i need a prescription or its being sent to the FBI immediately

TexLawyer :

Who did you send money via Western Union to and for what purpose?

Customer:

i did possibly order something, but it was never agreed exactly what, sort of implied

Customer:

and hes not saying what is sent

Customer:

just that its seized, and that i need a prescrption for it

Customer:

and when i ask a prescription for what, they wont say

Customer:

but there is nothing in writing about "what" is ordered, i didnt use some website, or agree to anything specific

Customer:

so im not even convinced the "package" is real, im just wondering if other than just seizing something suspicious, can they actually prosecute me for whatever they put there?

TexLawyer :

Again, who contacted you?

Customer:

the supposed shipper person

Customer:

not customs

Customer:

or anyone from the govt

TexLawyer :

OK.

Customer:

the person supposedly "handling" shipping

TexLawyer :

In that case, you need to ignore this person. It is nearly impossible for someone to prove that you personally ordered anything without your admissions.

Customer:

ok. i literally never agreed to order anything specific and there is no web page or email that says Please send me XYZ of Y

TexLawyer :

The best thing you can do is to abandon this purchase and not accept delivery of it.

Customer:

right, i dont plan on accepting or attempting to fight or anything, just wondering if i can be at fault because my name/address is on it

TexLawyer :

You need to distance yourself as much as possible. Simply having your address and name on it is not enough to prosecute you.

TexLawyer :

Anyone can order anything using some else's name and address.

Customer:

ok. so blocking phone numbers/not accepting calls/deleting any correspondence and complete silence from here on out is correct course?

TexLawyer :

Yes.

Customer:

ok, thanks. it felt like a scam as soon as they started saying customs is demanding a prescription for something.. but i appreciate the quick response

Customer:

thank you

TexLawyer :

Glad to help.

Customer:

out of curiousity, what would be required to prosecute? assuming i literally never see or attempt to receive said package

Customer:

im not entirely sure what it even is, but i dont think its some crazy class or schedule A drug. though i have no idea at this point

Customer:

i'll leave you alone after this;p

TexLawyer :

It really depends on the specific facts, but they would have to prove that you personally ordered the drugs. That would require someone or some way to identify you. That can be done through witnesses, having you accept service, or something of the like.

Customer:

is it common to prosecute or follow up on cases like this? assuming its not some boatload of resellable stuff, repeat / suspect offender, etc.

Customer:

wouldnt they normally just seize and move on?

TexLawyer :

These kinds of cases are very difficult to prosecute, absent some kind of admission or other facts linking a person to the order.

Customer:

even if i did send a western union money order?

Customer:

or rather. one was sent in my name..

TexLawyer :

Usually customs just seizes contraband. This situation is more suspicious since the carrier told you before hand that they were sending the FBI.

TexLawyer :

They usually don't give that kind of warning.

Customer:

meaning it sounds fake, yes?

TexLawyer :

To me, yes. However, that is just my impression from a relatively small amount of information.

Customer:

sure i understand. alright thanks for your time. excellent service!

TexLawyer :

Glad to help!

Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience: Experienced in both state and federal court.