How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question

Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2752
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello my father just died on the 6th of June , my half brother,

Customer Question

Hello my father just died on the 6th of June , my half brother, not biological to my father who had everything due to my moms deaths 3. Years agohas been on a drug rampage and is causing a lot problems stealing things out of the house, also iam afraid he has access to bank accounts,which I had frozen today', he's a complete dirt bag and has stolen thousands and and is a 2 time felon, my question is can i keep him from the life insurance as my mom was the only beneficiary? Also how can I keep him out of the house as he and. The drug dealers are emptying the valuables? My father was his payee through sis because he was deemed unable to take care of himself. Please help I know. This sounds like a lot of drama but I am very frustrated and want justice.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. There are things you can do to protect assets that are justifiably yours. First however, let say I am sorry to hear about your loss. Things like death are tough enough to deal with in the absence of drama. I hope that settles down and you can grieve accordingly with peace in your life.

Freezing the accounts was a great initial move. Your next move should be to file for a restraining order to keep him away from the property until a formal probate of the estate. The executor of the estate can handle the restraining order through the court system, if in place. If not, you may have to do it yourself.

If your mother was the only beneficiary, and she was also his biological mother, then you will both be entitled to equal shares of the life insurance policy (as will your sister), unless specified otherwise by some legal document, such as a will or trust. If the mother was the father's direct line beneficiary and she is not his biological mother, then he has no claim to the life insurance proceeds. It sounds like the former is the situation from your question above.

If there was no will, then the father is considered to have died intestate, which is a fancy legal term for dying without a will. In this event, the court will separate out how the estate is handled. As such, you need to make sure that this intestate succession is before the court as soon as reasonably possibly such that they can protect the assets from this brother until such time as disbursed.

In summary, if the brother is the biological son of the beneficiary (mother) he will be entitled to a portion of the life insurance, unless there is a document that specifies otherwise. As to the rest of the estate, you have taken the first major step in freezing the accounts. Get this estate before the courts as soon as possible and have a restraining order issued against the step brother to prevent pillaging of the possessions that should be disbursed in legal fashion.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments.

Best wishes going forward!

Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2752
Experience: 10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
Delta-Lawyer and 10 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much this was extremely helpful
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure, Dan. I wish you the best with this situation and my condolences on your loss.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions