TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I bought a camper recently and after I had bought it I found

Customer Question

I bought a camper recently and after I had bought it I found out it had a leak. So I called the business that sold it to me and they said they would come pick it up and bring it back to their office to repair it. While it was there I had two guns hidden under the bed. One shotgun and one assault rifle. I went by yesterday to see how things were coming along and my guns were missing. We called the police and filed an incident report. Is there anything else I can do about this legal wise?
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

I'm so sorry to hear about this theft. It's outrageous. If I were you, I would probably demand that the company replace the guns, and I'd threaten legal action if you are not compensated. The company may budge in order to make you happy and avoid possible legal trouble. However, I'm sorry to say that if push came to shove and the company refuses to compensate you, then you would probably not win a lawsuit against the company. The issue is that you presumably have no evidence about who took the guns. In order to win a lawsuit, you'd have to prove that the company directed somebody to take the guns. If you don't have that kind of evidence, then the company could easily argue that it could have been anybody and that nobody knows who took them. You can't win a lawsuit in that situation. So, I'm sorry to say that although I would likely make the demand for compensation, I would do so knowing that if the company refuses, you likely have no recourse. Of course, if the police investigate and discover who took the guns, then you can sue that person. And if the company itself has the guns or directed the person to take the guns, then you could sue the company.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, your positive feedback is much appreciated. Thank you for using our service!

If you would like to direct additional legal questions to me in the future, then please type "To VAMD" in the subject line of your question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What if the owner of the company has already admitted to the police that he is sure the guns were taken on his property and the chances of someone walking off the street and taking them was slim? The owner has agreed to compensate me for my loss if they aren't found, but the guns were given to me as a gift from my grandfather before he passed away not even a year ago. They have a lot of sentimental value to me. The compensation would be a start but it wouldn't be enough to replace what I have lost.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again.

I apologize for the delay in the response. For some reason I was locked out of the question for several hours until recently.

The admission to the police would only help if it somehow helps to prove who took the guns. Unfortunately, I don't see how the admission would help to determine who took the guns. Without that information, there is nobody to sue. But since the owner has already agreed to compensate you, then that's as much as you can get, unless the police find out who took the guns so that they can be retrieved.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification.