TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

i had a bill from a doctor that my insurance wanted more info

i had a bill from a doctor that my insurance wanted more info on and I didnt get it for them.It is from Nov. 2011.
The doctor sued me for the amount. I now am due in superior court July 2 for garnishment proceedings, summons and order to answer interrogatories. what are interrogatories? Should i get a lawyer to represent me?Is it too late to get money from the insurance company? I basically ignored all previous communications. I dont know whats the matter with me. I get scared, embarrassed, cant handle situations and bury my head in the sand. Im not a stupid person but I do this kind of stuff and procrastinate and then suffer the consequences. the amount was $9000 to begin with and now is almost $16,000
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I'll try my best to give you a clear answer to your question.

Q: what are interrogatories?
A: Interrogatories are questions that you must answer under oath. Since the proceedings are for garnishment, I assume that a judgment has already been granted against you. If so, then the interrogatories are for the purpose of collecting on the judgment. So, you will likely be asked questions about your assets, your other liabilities, where you work, where you bank, etc. You will be required to answer to questions under oath, so that means that you will need to swear to tell the truth under penalty of perjury. With the answers, the plaintiff will attempt to collect, such as by garnishing your wages and your bank account. If I were in your shoes, I would likely attempt to work out a payment plan with the plaintiff, particularly if you want to avoid the embarrassment of your wages being garnished.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, your positive feedback is much appreciated. Thank you for using our service!

If you would like to direct additional legal questions to me in the future, then please type "To VAMD" in the subject line of your question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

to VAMD: do I try to work out a payment plan before the court date or at the hearing? What about the insurance company - is it too late to try and get payment from them? Can I go to the court by myself?

Hi again.

Working out a payment plan before the hearing would be preferable. I'd say the sooner the better. As for the insurance company, it is likely too late to get payment from them, though I can't say for certain since it depends on what your policy states. But most policies require you to submit claims within a certain amount of time, such as 60 days, etc. I suggest that you call the insurance company to ask if too much time has expired. With regard to the hearing, you can appear alone. I see no reason to retain an attorney at this point, if that's where you're going with that question.

Does that help? Please let me know if you need further clarification, as I am happy to continue assisting you. Thank you for using our service!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

VMAD: does a judge ever reduce the amount owed in these cases - in other words could it possibly be reduced to the original $9000? Or do i try and negociate the price down when I contact the doctors
attorney?

Hi again.

Q: does a judge ever reduce the amount owed in these cases - in other words could it possibly be reduced to the original $9000?
A: I'm sorry to say that never happens. The judge does not have the power to reduce a judgment. The time to argue over the amount owed was during the trial. Accordingly, I would try to negotiate a smaller amount when contacting the doctor's attorney.