Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

I have been renting an apartment for > 2 years. The management

I have been renting an apartment for > 2 years. The management (manager in particular) of the apartment treat me in rude way. And I believe they have charged me unnecessary charges few times.. In which event can I sue them for discrimination? thank you.

Welcome and thank you for your question

I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

You can sue for discrimination if you are not allowed to rent or if you are told you have to leave and the only reason is because of your race, religion, age, gender, a disability or your national origin

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is there any law which I can resort to for being treated unfairly.. such as them charging me late fees: once when I was in emergency! and I have all the paper work from the hospital, I was late 1 day only.. and the second time because their online software didn't show the right amount.. they refunded me the late fee the second time but after I escalated to the regional manager.. there are few other such situations involving small amounts of money.. -- besides their rudeness..

also another question, what is considered a 'pet' is a canary bird in a cage considered a pet? should I pay the pet fees for a bird.

thank you

Well, no there is no law - because it is in your Lease/Contract as to how much they can charge and when.

And as long as they are following the terms of the contract when and how much will be collected for a late fee then there is no discrimination

A pet should not include a bird - but again that is based on what you lease/contract uses as a description for the word "Pet"

It all boils down to the lease/contract you signed