Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

I have a probationary license in Georgia, but could be moving

I have a probationary license in Georgia, but could be moving to Kentucky. I have already completed all the state requirements for reinstatement, but just have 18 months left on the suspension. Can I get a probationary license in Kentucky? Can I use my GA licence in the meantime?

TexLawyer :

Good afternoon. I'll be assisting you with your question.

JACUSTOMER-437ucsmq- :

Hello.

TexLawyer :

How long before you move to KY?

JACUSTOMER-437ucsmq- :

If it happens it would been in the next couple months.

TexLawyer :

OK. Once you move, you have 30 days to get a Kentucky license. To answer your question, yes, you can get a probationary license in Kentucky, but you should first try to apply for a license without seeking a provisional license.

TexLawyer :

They may not catch the fact that you are on a probationary license in GA, or, if they do, may just accept it with restrictions.

TexLawyer :

If they don't, you can apply for a probationary license, and it should be granted.

JACUSTOMER-437ucsmq- :

So, I can drive with my GA provisional for the first 30 days?

TexLawyer :

Yes. You have 30 days to get it changed over. That should buy you more time. Also, most states will grant a little more leeway than 30 days.

JACUSTOMER-437ucsmq- :

within that 30 days I should first attempt to get a regular license? But if they turn me down I should then try to get the KY provisional?

TexLawyer :

Yes. Were you originally suspended for a DUI?

JACUSTOMER-437ucsmq- :

Would any of this happen in court or just at the DMV?

JACUSTOMER-437ucsmq- :

Yes DUI.

TexLawyer :

In Kentucky, like most states, a hardship license (that's what they call a probationary license in KY) will only be issued pursuant to an order from a district court. So, you will have to go to court to get it.

JACUSTOMER-437ucsmq- :

So in summary I should first try to get a regular license just from the DMV and if they turn me down I should get help from a local lawyer in obtaining a provisional (hardship).

TexLawyer :

Correct. If you end up having to go the hardship route, shop it so several lawyers and go with the cheapest one. There is no particular skill involved, it is just filing paperwork, so there is no need to spend more than you have to.

JACUSTOMER-437ucsmq- :

Thanks... that sounds like the plan.

TexLawyer :

Glad to help.

TexLawyer :

Can I do anything else for you?

JACUSTOMER-437ucsmq- :

That is it for now.