Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My mother took their dog, who showed up as a stray a couple

Customer Question

My mother took their dog, who showed up as a stray a couple years ago to their farm and was 100% unsocialized, to a shop to be groomed yesterday b/c he was matted pretty bad. When she returned, the shop owner accused her of animal abuse/neglect, refused to give her the dog, the called the dog warden who came out and detained my mother for 45 minutes, threatening and accusing her. This is in Ohio. The only reason this dog is alive is b/c my parents saved it as a wild stray. How is it neglect when she had taken it to be groomed there in the first place? Was the shop allowed to keep the dog from her? Was a county dog warden allowed to detain and harass my mother for 45 minutes? At one point, as my mother cried, she said, "I am on two blood pressure medicines, I am afraid I am going to have a stroke", and they ignored her and continued to threaten and accuse her. She is 72 years old. PS My parents live in the country on a farm. This stray they have allowed to stay on their farm, and whom they have gotten vaccinations for, etc, is still 50% unsocialized and doesn't like to be petted much, etc. My parents are the LAST people in the world who would ever hurt an animal. My mother is devastated at how she was treated, threatened, and accused.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

I am sorry to hear this is happening, but the laws in very state now allow vets and groomers to report alleged abuse for failure to have a dog properly groomed. It is ridiculous and I have had to deal with this several times now, since some animal's hair mats very easily and that certainly does not mean neglect. Unfortunately, the shop was allowed to make such a complaint and the warden was allowed to investigate any report of alleged abuse even for this ridiculous reason, since the laws have considered now that failure to groom an animal might be grounds for animal abuse/neglect (generally it is considered multiple offenses of failure to groom, not one offense).

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.