How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am being accused of domestic abuse, the incident I am being

Customer Question

I am being accused of domestic abuse, the incident I am being accused of would have taken place over 2 years ago, what legal actions can I take to defend myself from such an accusation?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Good evening! I believe I can provide assistance in this matter but I need more information before proceeding. Please tell me more about the allegations. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

battery, and sex without consent

Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.

Can you explain why the charges are just coming forward now, two years later? Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I wish I knew, the "victim" accusing me was my then significant other 2 years ago, since the break up she has always tried ruining my life. Out of the blue she accuses me of incidents from 2 years ago, however she has blown things out of proportion. What should I do? What can I do?

Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.

While the allegations are very serious, there is some good news here as well. If the incident that she is bringing forward was from two years ago, it's highly improbable that there would be any evidence to substantiate the charges. For example, a sexual offense would often involve DNA evidence, pictures of physical injury and witnesses that saw or heard what took place. Two years later, those things likely do not exist.


As I mentioned, these are serious allegations. As such, it would be prudent to retain an attorney to assist. An attorney can intervene with law enforcement, ensure you do not make any statements that may come across as admissions and otherwise help ensure the best possible result.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.