Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

I was a contractor for a delivery company and asked my driver

I was a contractor for a delivery company and asked my driver if we could run the company under his name because I was about to lose my contract. He agreed and l paid for him to become incorporated. Now, 5 months later, he left the company and thinks the company is his and the money is his. We have a verbal agreement but nothing written down. I have paper work to show that under my company name he got a pay check and under his company name he was getting a pay check. What do I do now?
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good evening. You still have recourse against him. If there is nothing in writing, it is a more difficult process, but the lack of a written contract can be overcome by the concepts of promissory estoppel, detrimental reliance, and unjust enrichment. This situation arises when Person A relied upon the verbal agreement, Person A performed based on such reliance, and because Person B defaulted, such reliance is now to Person A's detriment. Where there is i) partial performance by Person A based upon the mutual promises, ii) Person A relied upon such promises to perform, iii) Person B's failure to perform would be to Person A's detriment, and iv) result in Person B being unjustly enriched, Person A can overcome the legal requirement that the agreement be in writing. Your facts meet all these elements so you can pursue him based on a breach of contract cause of action. If he will not pay voluntarily, file suit against him. Once the suit is filed and a judgment awarded, you become a judgment creditor, and if the losing party doesn’t then pay the judgment, you can have the sheriff serve a summons on the losing party for a debtor examination. That forces the losing party to meet the judgment creditor in court and answer questions under oath about the losing party's assets. After that information is obtained, the judgment creditor has the power to garnish wages, attach bank accounts, have the sheriff seize other personal property, and/or place liens on any non-homestead property to satisfy the judgment.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You're's my pleasure to help. Unfortunately, if he won't release it voluntarily, you will have to sue him to get it. So, what you want to do is raise the stakes on him so that he knows that not complying with your demands is going to cost him far more in the end than simply releasing the money now. You should him them a certified, return receipt requested letter detailing the history and your agreement, and demanding that he release your money in total within a short specified period of time. Inform him that if your demand is not timely complied with, you will have no choice but to file a suit against him for your damages. BUT, be sure to specifically mention that you will be filing this claim not only as a breach of contract case, but also as a fraud cause of action, which will entitle you not only to your damages, but also an additional amount equal to multiple times your actual damages as punitive damages. That should provide plenty of incentive to comply with your demands; but, if it does not, file your suit.

Thanks so much for the positive rating and bonus! I appreciate your kindness and the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: