P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience

A prier tenent of my is suing for me to refund all the rent

A prier tenent of my is suing for me to refund all the rent while he lives in my house. This is a redicular law suit. I think I have a good chance of winning. Will I be able to ask him to pay my legal expence at the same trial if I win? Or do I have to conter sue him for my legal fees.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Can you tell me, are they suing you in small claims court? Or in district court?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Superior Court..

Thank you.

Two more questions please

1. How much money are they demanding?

2. Do they have a lawyer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am still looking for the information . Thank you for you pations.

no worries...take your time...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. Over 12000.

2. They do not have a lawyer

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are you still there?

California law, generally speaking speaking, requires each party to pay their own legal expenses

So unless there is an agreement that the loosing party pay lawyer fees, it is very tough to force the other party to pay your lawyer fees.

Now, in some cases, if you can show that this was a frivolous lawsuit, you can ask that they pay your lawyer fees...just understand that the courts are reluctant to grant this type of relief.

So you can ask for your fees (have your lawyer do this) but as I mention it is tough to get the court to approve this request

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You are welcome

Best of luck with this fight