N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  since 1983
9653905

Hi,My snapshots indicate :Mr. X and Ms Y, JTTENCOM.Can

Customer Question

Hi, My snapshots indicate : Mr. X and Ms Y, JTTENCOM. Can you tell me if it means : - Joint Tenancy, or - Tenancy in Common ? Thank you in advance.

Of course, my question is for my US account, and depending on the US rules.

(The page View Question on my deposit receipt speaks of French Law :  It is an error)

Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Fran, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

No, I did not find the answer, and I still need assistance from one of the professionals.

I don't know why I was directed on the Category French/European law (may be because my payment was in euros).

Of course my question if for my US bank account (Wells Fargo).

Thank you for your help.

Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi Marcelle,

It looks like our categorizing software decided you were French. I have put your question in US law where it belongs, and I will look for a Legal professional for you.

Thanks for your patience.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. I'm so sorry for the mix-up on your category. I appreciate your patience and truly sorry for any inconvenience caused by the mix-up.

If this is a bank account or brokerage account, a joint account vests automatically in the surviving owner upon the death of the first owner. The only exception, if the term "right of survivorship" is not used, would be that someone could contest that the joint account was merely set up for convenience and the decedent did not intend for the joint owner to get the entire account at death. This does not happen in the case of spouses, but can happen where there is an elderly person and one child is added to the account to assist the elderly person to pay his/her bills. In that event, if other children can show by clear and convincing evidence that the elderly person did not intend for the one child to get the entire account, the court can rule the right of survivorship should not apply.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your answer but, as you can see, my question was different :

It was :

My snapshots indicate : Mr. X and Ms Y, "JTTENCOM".

Can you tell me if it means :

"Joint Tenancy" or "Tenancy in Common" ?

Thank you in advance.

( Of course, my question is for my US account, and depending on the US rules)

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for following up. If this is a bank account, whoever set up the account set it up incorrectly because it is a combination of two types of ownership. If this were real estate, it would be presumed to be tenants in common, but because it's a bank account, if this were to go to a court to determine, the court would look at a number of factors all of which would revolve around the "intent" of the party who funded the account. Because I don't know enough of those factors and each court in each jurisdiction would likely look differently at the facts, I'm going to opt out in favor of another expert who might be located in the state in which the account is set up. Please do not respond or rate as this will simply slow the process of another expert picking this up. Take care.
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 year ago.
May I ask what is this a snapshot of?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I hope you can find, open and read the image I join to my answer : One of the snapshots (account statements) I receive monthly from Wells Fargo Advisors, brokers.

I do not see an image, and I still need to ask which State this is in.

Do you have the account agreement?

Are the account holders married?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Some more informations :

- I am the widow of an American writer, since 2005. I am French and, since my husband's death, I live in Europe. I am 83 years old. My son and my daughter are American and live in the States.

- We were living in New Jersey.

- We had an account (Wells Fargo Advisors, brokers), which still exists today.

- This account did not pass through probate, and no discussion appeared.

- We had an Advisor settled in NJ, but the headquarters of WFA are in St Louis, with an office in Charlotte, from which I receive my monthly statements, called by them "snapshots".

- This account mentioned : "Name of my husband and My name, JTTENCOM".

- Since my husband's death, it was changed in : "Name of my husband (DECD) and My name, JTTENCOM".

- This account receives my Pensions & Benefits (TIAA-CREF + Social Security).

- So, I pay my Taxes to the US Treasury and NJ Treasury.

- I don't know how our account was registered, and I cannot succeed to receive any answer from WFA about that.

- So, I am referring to the title of my statements. But the letters "JTTENCOM" appear to be contradictory : Does it mean (the first letters) Joint Tenancy, or (the last letters) Tenancy in Common ?

Hope I was clear.

WFA states that abbreviation, JTTENCOM, means tenancy in common and not joint tenancy with right of survivorship.

Their phone number is XXXXX at
https://info.wellsfargoadvisors.com/offers.aspx?type=wellsfargoadvisorspacket&cid=SG130038791&excid=SG130038791
if you want to confirm my answer with them.

I hope this information is helpful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

The link you wrote doen't work.

Can you check it ?

Thank you for doing, and I will rate to finish.

The link works for me but I;m not sure which brwser you are using. That page states:

To learn more about Wells Fargo Advisors, call us at (877)(NNN) NNN-NNNN

They can explain the abbreviations for you.

N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience: since 1983
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Due to the explanations I gave above, which State would be in charge of any dispute ? NJ ? MO (headquarters) ? NC (branch) ?

Thanks.

Thank you for accepting my answer, and thank you very much for the bonus!

Please clarify, is there a dispute between you and WFA, or is there a dispute as to ownership of part of the account?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not really, or not yet...!
As to ownership of a part of the account, I think that any dispute could be easy to forget. With my children, and not against them. But who knows...

But with Wells Fargo (Advisors + Bank, I have two accounts) it begins to be serious. To block my accounts and to reject 5 checks I addressed to the US and NJ Treasuries, and one to my Health Bureau, with the Return and Reason codes "altered" "fictitious" and "counterfeit", it's rude to me.

Particularly for a customer since 50 years + never any incident and accounts largely provided.

If I was younger, I would have already pursued.
But they may think that, in fact, at my age, they risk nothing ...

Thank you to give me an advice, but please do not think that I'm exaggerating : If I need more infos, I will come back here, and - if it is allowed - suggest your name.

The account agrement usually specifies which State's law governs any disputes between the company and a customer.

Can you obtain a copy of your account agreement?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try.

I think they have absolutely no reason to refuse.

If I need to come back here, I will tell you. (Allowed, to give your name ?)

Here, Tuesday has begun...

And I have to rest, if I want to be strong, facing my ennemies !

If you reply, I will read you tomorrow morning, while you sleep.

I am not allowed to give out my personal contact information, but you can continue posting in this thread, or you can ask me a new question through
http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-ncalatty/