Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

my ex boyfriend left me almost 3 months ago. when he left,

my ex boyfriend left me almost 3 months ago. when he left, he left some of his belongings. now he is saying I have to send him his things. am I legally obligated to do so? I have told him he is more than welcone to come get them but he refuses and says I have to mail them.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good evening. Your ex BF could not be more wrong. You have no legal obligation to send his things to him. Not only is he required to come get what he wants, you are entitled to charge him storage until he does. Furthermore, most cities in Illinois have a local municipal ordinance that allow you after a period of time....typically ranging from 7 to 30 days....to simply dispose of the property. Thus, you would legally be entitled to not only tell him you aren't legally obligated to mail his possessions, but also to let him know he has a short specified period of time to come get his stuff or you will dispose of them as you are legally entitled to do under the law.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/