Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

Two special agents from social security came to my old residence.

Two special agents from social security came to my old residence. Do I need a lawyer?

RayAnswers :

Thanks for your question and good evening.

RayAnswers :

You may well want to have a lawyer here before you answer any questions or give any statements.There might be potential federal crimes here if you failed to report changes or other similar issues.These can be real serious.

RayAnswers :

There is no sense making statements or giving any information to these guys, it might help them make their case.Overall you have the right to remain silent here.

RayAnswers :

Here is information about these guys.

RayAnswers :

They would likely be investigating disability fraud, overpayments from failure to report, these kinds of things.

RayAnswers :

Often they are fishing no need here on your part to help them make a case against you.

RayAnswers :

A lawyer can act as an intermediary and control the interview terms, etc.What state are you in here??

Customer:

See, my psycho daughter in law called in an anonymous complaint to my local office. I went in and talked to social security, but didn't bring my minor daughter to the appt. My daughter is who gets the benefits. Then the social security woman called the board of education, who called CPS. I moved out of state the day before CPS showed up at my old residence.

Customer:

I lived in West Virginia

RayAnswers :

Again a lawyer here is a good idea before you give any statements or schedule an interview.Let me get you lawyer referral.

RayAnswers :

West Virginia State Bar LRS
Charleston, WV
Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Toll free:(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Counties Served: Statewide

Customer:

I don't live in WV anymore

RayAnswers :

So where are you now?

Customer:

South Carolina, but I sure don't want charges in this state!!

RayAnswers :

You can locate a lawyer here-- South Carolina Bar Lawyer Referral Service at(NNN) NNN-NNNNor call the Legal Aid Telephone Intake Service (LATIS) at(NNN) NNN-NNNN These are going to be potential federal crimes so be careful and use the lawyer referral.You always have the right to not talk to them or give statements here.

RayAnswers :

I wish you good luck, sorry these guys are harassing you about all of this.

Customer:

You said if I failed to report changes. What kind?

RayAnswers :

This would be any changes in your household, income . or assets here if you are receiving benefits for yourself or others.

I hope that you will be so kind as to leave a positive rating. If you do have any additional questions about my answer please click the "Continue Conversation Link" so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is reflected as a negative rating and I receive no credit for my answers.

This communication does not establish an attorney client relationship here.Information provided is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.

RayAnswers :

Thanks again for letting me help you and good luck with social security here.

Customer:

Do you know what would make social security call the board of education or child protective services?

RayAnswers :

No unless they were investigating say a a change here--you were getting benefits for a child and they moved or no longer resided in the house as an example.

RayAnswers :

Unreported changes would cause you to get excess benefits.

RayAnswers :

So it probably this kind of related complaint they are looking at here.

RayAnswers :

It's hard to know for sure unless you talk to them and that is usually not a good idea.A lawyer to ask questions and investigate them is a good idea to stay safe here.

Customer:

She is getting benefits due to the death of her father, based on his

RayAnswers :

So it would be related to this in some manner.

Customer:

income before he died. So my income doesn't matter does it?

RayAnswers :

No it likely would not involve your income if the benefits were paid to you for the child.It might be related to whether child was living with you all the time, someo other party might have tried to claim double benefits. etc.These are all the kinds of things they would be looking for.

Customer:

Ok, thanks

RayAnswers :

You are so welcome,good luck here.

RayAnswers :

If you can leave a positive rating it is much appreciated.

RayAnswers :

Have a great evening.