Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Hi, one of my friend helped a girl took an online class and

Hi, one of my friend helped a girl took an online class and the for some money. I want to know if its legal.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

Could you explain a little more?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, a girl who is a friend of my friend asked me if I know someone who can help her take an online class. So I introduced her to a friend who agreed to help her write some online essays for some money. And now the girl refused to pay for my friend, so my friend told her that if he reports to school that she cheated, she might be deported( she is international student). So the girl wants to sue my friend.

Thank you for the information:

Response: The girl has no basis to sue your friend. She is more trouble for cheating. The school may dismiss her from the school. So, your friend should tell her to go ahead and sue him and then your friend should countersue for the money owed or he can go ahead and file the lawsuit first to recover the money lent to the girl. As for the legality of helping the girl cheat, the prosecutors have a lot of other serious issues to deal with.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

And the girl also threatened to hire someone to physically attack my friend, and we have all the chatting history online. I just want to know, since the girl prepares to sue my friend now, what do you think me and my friend should do. We don't want to be involved with cheating either. Do I have any problem? I introduced the girl to my friend.

And the girl also threatened to hire someone to physically attack my friend, and we have all the chatting history online. I just want to know, since the girl prepares to sue my friend now, what do you think me and my friend should do.

Response 1
: File complaint against her with the local Police for the threats. Your friend may file a Small Claim for the money lent to the girl. Otherwise, he may wait and then countersue after the girl has filed her lawsuit although I do not see any legal basis for her lawsuit based on the information that you have provided here.

We don't want to be involved with cheating either. Do I have any problem? I introduced the girl to my friend.

Response 2
: No, you do not have any problem for just making the introduction. You are not responsible for the actions of your friend.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks!

And for my friend, is helping someone taking class illegal? And he is not at the same school with the girl, can this be an off-campus issue? WIll he be punished by law or school?

Thanks!

And for my friend, is helping someone taking class illegal?

Response 1: It really depends. If you are impersonating someone here, it is illegal. If you are helping the person take the class where the person is actually logged in, it would be unethical, but not illegal. In any case, the prosecutors have more issues to worry about than to pursue academic cheaters. Nevertheless, this does not prevent the school involved from disciplining the student who is cheating, who is getting help with her online classes.

And he is not at the same school with the girl, can this be an off-campus issue?

Response 2: No, I do not see how.

WIll he be punished by law or school?

Response 3: No.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience: B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.