Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I got my computer locked by the Dept of Justice. It said I

I got my computer locked by the Dept of Justice. It said I have 72 hours to pay a fine of $400 to unlock it. Who has the right to cencer what anyone see's or reads on the internet.

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

JD 1992 :

It's a scam, the DOJ doesn't lock computers and force you to pay a fine to unlock it. What you have done is visited a site that downloaded a virus onto your computer.

Customer:

Ok how would I get this off?

JD 1992 :

There are a variety of programs that can remove them but they are constantly updating their virus. The best thing to do is take it to a Best Buy or a local computer store and get them to remove it.

JD 1992 :

However, if you want to do it yourself hold on just a sec and I'll see if I can find you something.

Customer:

Thanks

JD 1992 :

If you look at this post http://www.lessonsinlaw.com/scams-a-plenty-dont-fall-for-them/ on that topic, there is an ad afterwards for a program that removes them. That post also provides some information on similar scams.

JD 1992 :

Anything else I can assist with?

Customer:

One more thing is that .com .org or something else?

JD 1992 :

The link I gave you?

Customer:

yes

JD 1992 :

It is a .com. You can go to www.lessonsinlaw.com and then search for scams in their search box and it will take you to several articles on scams that are running right now, including the one I just gave you.

Customer:

Thank you I throught this had to be some kind of scam but did not know for sure. I am very happy with your help