TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

I recently came home to a citation on my door saying the ive

I recently came home to a citation on my door saying the i've been sued and that i need to respond to this citation with in 20 days after the first monday. Its for a loan of $15000 that was never paid after a short sell. Do i need a lawyer? What are my options? Also my last name is XXXXX XXXXX this make any difference?

Thank you for your question.

Do you believe you are liable for the claim?

Is there any reason that the loan was not repaid?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i know i'm liable. i did sign the original promissory note. i was laid off shortly after signing and was able to make payment.

Thanks for your response.

When you are liable on a promissory note like this, there is not much you can do to defend the lawsuit. However, offering a defense may put you into a position to where you could settle the lawsuit for less than what you owe now.

In order to put yourself into this kind of settlement posture, you would need to hire a lawyer to answer the lawsuit on your behalf and put up a denial defense (requiring the plaintiff to come to court and prove its case).

If you do not hire a lawyer and offer a defense, then you will be found liable for everything the other party is asking for and they will get a judgment against you. This will affect your credit, and will also serve as a basis to garnish your wages and bank accounts. It could also result in your non-exempt property being seized to satisfy the judgment.

If the Plaintiff is requesting more than what is due to them, the only way you will be able to contest this is by hiring a lawyer and entering a defense.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,