Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

I had an excellent response from ZDNLaw a week or so ago.

I had an excellent response from ZDNLaw a week or so ago. I need an additional follow-up to his response but I see he's not online.
Here's the question----- can a Texas lawyer legally send a "cease and desist" letter to a resident of Tennessee?
The question posed to ZDNLaw was one of blackmail/extortion. The lady in question has now sent a letter to my business partner exposing an affair of 15 years ago and demanding that he get involved and hold me accountable. I want to shut this off!

TexLawyer :

Good morning. I'll be assisting you with your question.

TexLawyer :

To answer your question directly, yes, a Texas lawyer can send a C&D letter to a resident of Tenn.

Customer:

do you have access to the original question and ZDNLaw's response?

TexLawyer :

The reason is that, depending on exactly what the person did, they could be brought into a Texas court for violating Texas law. Yes, I have access to it. I'm reading it now.

Customer:

She has now accused me of actually taking the funds----when they were never touched by me and Schwab should have record The issue is simply we're talking about an event 15 years ago AND NEVER A PEEP OUT OF HER.

TexLawyer :

Based on the facts presented in your other question, she could be liable under Texas law and in a Texas court. Therefore, you can have a Texas lawyer write her a letter explaining to her the potential legal ramifications of her actions.

TexLawyer :

Hopefully, that will be enough to get her to stop.

Customer:

Can you write it?

Customer:

I'd be more than happy to forward a copy of the letter she sent to my partner

TexLawyer :

Unfortunately, no. We are not allowed to engage customers in a way that creates an attorney-client relationship.

Customer:

I understand this has been more than helpful and your timeliness is much appreciated.

Customer:

Do I need a criminal lawyer to write it?

TexLawyer :

My pleasure. I'm glad I could help.

TexLawyer :

You probably want a civil lawyer.

Customer:

Thanks have a great day

TexLawyer :

You too. If there isn't anything else I can do for you, please remember to "rate" my answer. Good luck.