How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 101939
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a judgement that was filed in Forsyth County North Carolina

This answer was rated:

I have a judgement that was filed in Forsyth County North Carolina in October 2006, does this expire after 7 years? Is it renewable? How do I get this off my record?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am very sorry for your situation. By a "judgment" I understand that you mean a civil judgment. If so, I am afraid you cannot remove it off your record - it cannot be removed. However, it does expire. The judgment expires after ten years per §1-47. So if your judgment was rendered in October 2006, then it shall expire on October 2016.

Now, the party that holds judgment can renew it, but the onus is on them to file in court to to do. Before the expiration of this ten year period, an action may be brought on the judgment which has the effect of renewing the judgment for an additional ten years. However, many parties forget to renew, and if they do, the judgment becomes void and cannot be enforced.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have no recollection of being served this judgment and I am not sure of who filed it - I only have the name of the attorney they used, would it be beneficial to try to find out more at this time or just dispute my credit reports? Will it come off my credit reports after the 7 years?


Thank you for your reply.

1) While you have the ability to dispute this on your credit report, the credit bureau will go off whatever the Court states. So if the Court states that there is a judgment, then the credit bureau is not likely to take it off.

2) If one wishes to challenge it, perhaps your best bet in this situation is to challenge it in Court by filing a motion seeking to set aside judgment due to not ever actually being properly served, and re-opening the case. I am going to be honest - it may be hard to do since it has been such a long time since the judgment and this may not be successful, but it is virtually the only possibility to challenge the judgment at this point. If the Court agrees, re-opens the case, and it is later on ruled in your favor, then the credit bureau will take off the judgment.

Will it come off my credit reports after the 7 years?

Yes, it should. Generally, most court judgments stay on your credit reports for up to 7 years from the date they were filed. So while still enforceable for 10 years, it only stays on your credit for 7.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you!


You are very welcome. Good luck, and please don't forget to rate my answer in one of top three faces and then SUBMIT – it is the only way I get credit for my time with you – or, please REPLY to keep on chatting – I want you to be satisfied.
Ely and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you