John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.
18914223

I am single, no children, and all of my family live overseas.

I am single, no children, and all of my family live overseas. I want to give my best friend power of attorney in case medical or financial decisions need to be made in an emergency. How do I go about that? What specific documents would I need so there is no dispute in an emergency?
Are there forms I can draw up and print out, or do I need to call a lawyer? If yes, what type of lawyer would do this kind of thing?
Expert:  John Legal replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

This is an issue that many face as families are more spread out than ever. You certainly can appoint your best friend to make both financial and medical decisions for you if you get to where you cannot make those decisions on your own. The documents that you would need is a Colorado Power of Attorney (the document that allows your friend to make financial decisions) and the Colorado Advance Medical Directive (the document that allows your friend to make medical decisions). I am pasting links to forms of both of those documents that you could use if you want to do this on you own. Please be aware that you must sign them in front of witnesses and a notary for the financial document.

While you can use the forms, please note that forms do not fit all and there could be issues or circumstances in your particular case that the form does not cover or where the form does not operate to fully protect you. I would suggest that you would be the most protected by seeking the aid of an estate planning attorney in your area to speak with you about them, your exact wishes and concerns. An estate planning attorney will craft powers of attorney and likely encourage you to prepare a will or trust at the same time to assure that you are best protected according to your exact circumstances.

Here are the forms:

Colorado Statutory Power of Attorney

Colorado Advanced Medical Directive

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,

John Legal, Attorney
Experience: Over 15 years legal experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much! That gave me a starting point!
Expert:  John Legal replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome! Additional questions just ask for me by starting your question with John.