TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

my corporation is being sued I do not want to contest but

my corporation is being sued
I do not want to contest but do I need to hire an attorney

Thank you for your question.

If you want to make any appearance at all in court during the lawsuit, you will have to hire an attorney.

If you want to simply allow the Plaintiff to obtain a default judgment against you and not enter the proceedings at all, you do not need to hire a lawyer.

However, why wouldn't you want to contest? What if the plaintiff asserts more in monetary damages than you think are due?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am a small business and don't have money to retain an attorney.

Also is I have to pay the court damages and cannot pay what can happen

All sorts of things can happen!

For example, there is a legal theory called "piercing the corporate veil" which if proved by the Plaintiff (which is easier when you are not there to defend) can do away with the corporate shield and allow personal liability to fall against you.

Is this a case where the Plaintiff is represented by an attorney? Are they seeking a lot of money?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes the plaintiff is represented by attorney

they are asking for refund and damages over 21k

As I mentioned I have no assets and I am a very small corporation.

Can I respond to motion and have corporation refund client

Because you are incorporated, you would have to hire an attorney to make any response in court.

If you want to settle with the other side, you do not need an attorney. All you would need to do is call the lawyer and try to negotiate settlement terms.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,