Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

am I commiting a crime if I buy a bus ticket for a person to

am I commiting a crime if I buy a bus ticket for a person to leave a state to avoid court date

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

To answer directly, it may well be a potential crime. If you are actively assisting someone from appearing in court or eluding authorities, then there is the basis for a conspiracy and a claim of 'misprison', which is a refusal or an omission to allow law enforcement to know where a suspect is located. What governs here is knowledge--if you are simply helping someone purchase a ticket, it is not a violation, but if you know that by doing so it helps them commit a crime, then that creates a potential criminal conspiracy argument.

Hope that helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What kind of crime could it be? A felony a misdemeanor?

Daniel,

That depends on where you are located. Most 'crimes' in every state have gradations, meaning the police and the District Attorney have a potential range of offenses and potential penalties. If you are referring to Maryland, then this would be considered potential 'obstruction of justice' and would be a misdemeanor.

Here is the statute below:

§ 9-306. Obstruction of justice.

(a) Prohibited.- A person may not, by threat, force, or corrupt means, obstruct, impede, or try to obstruct or impede the administration of justice in a court of the State.

(b) Penalty.- A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 5 years or a fine not exceeding $10,000 or both.

[An. Code 1957, art. 27, § 26; 2002, ch. 26, § 2.]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what is the usual fine for a first time misdemeanor if the court offense impeded was also a misdemeanor?

Daniel,

I cannot answer that as there is no 'usual fine' for obstruction of justice--the courts would need to evaluate each case based on severity, intent, and other factors pertaining tto the underlying offense. The courts can set a fine of up to $10,000, but it would otherwise be based on the actions and the behavior of the defendant and the severity of the offense, even a first-time offense.

Good luck.