TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

A man purporting to be from the Dept. of Commerce called me

A man purporting to be from the Dept. of Commerce called me saying he had my sweepstakes winnings - $450,000- from the American Sweepstakes Network but that I would have to go thorough a verification procedure through the Prudential Insurance Agency to get the package released to me, or else the monies would be cancelled.. The caller was very pleasant and fluent but something smells. Am I right? is this a scam?

Thank you for your question.

Yes, this is a scam. Do not contact them again and do not give them any information whatsoever. The US Department of Commerce is not involved with sweepstakes prize giveaways. You can report this scam to the Federal Trade Commission at: http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0076-telemarketing-scams

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
ZDN