TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

Hi, I am resident of OH (not a US citizen) and am working

I am resident of OH (not a US citizen) and am working on H1B. I got married (to a cousin) recently in India and when my wife attended visa Interview, she was told that our relation was not allowed in the state of OH and the visa officer suggested to change my location from OH and go for next appointment.

I would like to know if New Jersey and Georgia have same rules or, are they good for me to relocate with respect to cousin marriage (even for 1st cousins).

Thank you for your question.

Both Georgia and New Jersey will honor and register a marriage between 1st cousins and thus would be a good area in which you may relocate.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,