ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

i own land in TEXAS it is homestead taxes. i understand there

i own land in TEXAS it is homestead taxes. i understand there is a new law that exempts senior citizens who are disable on own there property from paying school tax. i was told my our tax man in grimes county texas that, it was only for veternians only. i don't believe this. a disable man who is on a oxygen machine and is 65 yrs old and a wife who is 70 yrs old. is there a law exempting seniors from having to pay school taxes on there land.

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately the amendments that were passed in 2011 and went into law in 2012 provide for complete exemption only for disabled veterans. See Texas Tax Code 11.131 (http://www.epcad.org/pdf/TexasPropertyTaxCode_11_131.pdf) There is no complete exemption for disabled and/or elderly (even disabled elderly). There IS a homestead tax ceiling, meaning that your taxes cannot go up if you're disabled and/or elderly. Further, a taxing district can offer an exemption of at least $3,000 to elderly/disabled homeowners. But again, this is an exemption, not exception. That means that there will still be taxes due, unfortunately, if you can't show that you're a completely disabled veteran or spouse.

ScottyMacEsq :

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!