Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

If I lose my license Tim DUI in New Jersey will I lose my license

If I lose my license Tim DUI in New Jersey will I lose my license in tennessee as well

JD 1992 :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today.

JD 1992 :

It's not automatic. There is an agreement between states known as an "interstate compact" where each of the states agrees to honor the suspension of the other states who belong to it. A few states didn't subscribe to it and Tennessee is one of the states that doesn't.

Customer: So can I be sure that I wil not lose my license
JD 1992 :

However, there is a new program called the National Drivers Register which is mandated by federal law and all states must belong to it and use it to determine if a driver is considered a "problem driver" by another state. It isn't accurate yet and many people are missed.

JD 1992 :

There is no way to be sure that TN will not suspend it. If they find out it was suspended in NJ then TN can suspend it as well. It isn't required but it can happen.

Customer: How can I find out for sure about my license? Is there a way?
Customer: are you saying its a 50/ 50 chance?
JD 1992 :

No, there is no way to know for sure. You have a better chance in TN than in most states but not way to find out for 100% certain.

JD 1992 :

It is actually better than 50-50.

JD 1992 :

I've seen a number of people get their license suspended in NJ and NY and it doesn't happen in TN.

Customer: What odds would you give
JD 1992 :

70-30 or better in your favor right now.

Customer: ok Anything else you can tell me?
JD 1992 :

No, other than try to get the charge reduced down to something else and you may be able to avoid the suspension in the first place. In addition, if you get a suspension you may be able to get a occupational license.

Customer: pleading down not optional according to nj attorney. Blew .8 but sounds like judge may be tough. Small town? Don't know for sure
JD 1992 :

,08 is the legal limit so your attorney has a little to work with depending on what time you were stopped and what time you were tested.

Customer: Thanks, will see