RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

is it a hippa violation if u tell someone it is time to take

is it a hippa violation if u tell someone it is time to take thier medicine in public
Thank you for your question.

No, it is not. HIPAA laws apply to medical providers to keep their patients' medical information private. So, for example, a doctor who leaves a patient's file on the reception desk out in the lobby where it can be viewed could be a HIPAA violation. But simply reminding someone to take their medication is not a violation of the law.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i work in a group home and my consumers were next door at the neighbors and I told them come on guys its time to take your medicine
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I work in a group home and my consumers were at the neighbors, I went and told them it is time to take your medicine. Does this change anything ?

Thank you for your reply. I would still say that is not a violation. You didn't reveal anything about their condition or even say what kind of medication they are on.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So am I considered a medical provider ?

HIPAA laws apply health care providers (essentially a provider of medical or health services; a person or organization that furnishes, bills or is paid for health care in the normal course of its business), and therefore by extension their employees. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what a group home is, but if this is a facility that provides care and support to elderly, infirm and impaired individuals, gives them medication, ensures their health and wellbeing, that is a health care provider and HIPAA laws apply.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

But I still did not violate HIPPA correct ?

In my professional opinion, no, this is not a HIPAA violation.