Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

In short, I live in Ohio and I purchased a 1960 Corvette through

In short, I live in Ohio and I purchased a 1960 Corvette through Ebay from a Dealer in Kaiser,MO. The car was delivered and looked very nice. I performed an inspection and discovered that the VIN plate is in the wrong location for this car and it was an obvious fake VIN plate. The numbers were punched and crooked. The word "Cheverolet" was missing. The VIN was on the inner door post but is supposed to be under the hood on the steering column. The VIN was obviously tampered with. When I called the seller, which is a dealer that restores and re-sells classic corvettes, he said that I was making way too much of it and that he knew a guy that could make me a new VIN plate (which I believe is a felony). Now if I take the car to the DMV, I risk the car being impounded. I cannot find any other hidden VINs on the car frame. Also, I am doubting that this is a 1960 Corvette. It has many parts that are unique to only a 1958 Corvette (which is similar). However, I cannot confirm because the only indentification is a fake VIN plate. If I go for a state issued VIN than the value of the car drops significantly (basically the kiss of death for a classic car. which the seller is aware of).

What Can I do?
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
What is the seller's position on this situation?
.
Are they willing to take the car back?
.
Did they give you a title that says it is a 1960 Corvette?
.
What would you like to have happen?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The Seller will not take the Car back. The seller only offered to find me a new and less suspicious VIN plate. Which is a RED Flag. I believe that the car may have a history of theft. The VIN is obviously a fake. However, if I take the Car to get it registered I risk the Car getting impouded. I do have a Title from the previous owner out of California. I like the car but feel as though the Seller sold me a problem vehicle. Do I have any legal recourse against a the Dealer for selling a vehicle with an obvious fake VIN plate? I would like to get a refund.

I think that this definitely sounds like fraud and misrepresentation that would give you grounds to sue the seller for breach of contract for your money back. I would suggest getting someone to issue a formal opinion that it is not a 1960 and that it has been fraudulently altered to make it appear like one. Then you can contact the seller and tell them that they can either refund your money and take the car back, or you will contact the Attorney General's Fraud Division and get them involved as well as file civil suit for fraud and breach of contract. Altering or faking a VIN is a felony and the AG can file formal charges against the seller if he had any hand in the fraud.
.
It is likely that the seller doesn't want to bite off that amount of trouble and will then agree to refund your money and take the car back to try to pawn off on some other buyer.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.