LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  8+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

A friends lives in Springfield MI in an apartment that has

A friends lives in Springfield MI in an apartment that has a no pet policy. She has had a hamster for months. Yesterday one of the maintenance men reported her for having a caged animal. She has been given a notice about it and they say they will charge her $15 a day until she gets rid of him. Where I live (Ontario, Canada) I know that no pet clauses in leases are not enforceable unless the animal is a threat or a disturbance. What are the no pet laws in Springfield and do they have a legal right to force her to get rid of it?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern for your friend. The landlord/owner does have a legal right to restrict pets on the premises. This is very common in the Missouri and typically, if pets are allowed, it needs to be stated within the lease agreement and a pet deposit is normally charged. It does seem like such a minor issue, as it is not a dog or cat but the hamster is a pet and the landlord could ask her to remove it. Of course, she can try and negotiate with the landlord, modifying the lease to allow it and offer to pay a pet fee. If she fails to do so, the landlord could hold her in breach of the lease agreement, charge the fee and even proceed to evict, if needed.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience: 8+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your information. Not what I had hoped to hear but I won't shoot the messanger so to speak. Have a good day!