LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

What document would I file that would give me time to consult

What document would I file that would give me time to consult with a lawyer. I am being sued for finds that accrued while my rental was being occupied. I was given 30 days to file a ANSWER OR PROPER RESPONSE IN WRITING WITH THE COUNTY COURT and I haven't had much success in trying to find a lawyer. My rental is located in Phoenix Az. and I live in Newark, Ca. I'm being sued for about 8,000 in finds and lawyer fees.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. In a situation where a defendant is served and needs more time to file an answer, they can always file a motion for an extension of time with the court. In the body of the motion, they will need to explain why they are unable to respond within the 30 days and show good cause, as to why the extension should be granted. Moreover, they should advise the court as to how much time they think they need. In addition, prior to even filing the motion, they could contact the plaintiff and see if they would agree to the extension of time and an agreed order can be filed with the court. If a motion is filed, the original needs to be filed with the clerk of court and copies sent to all parties and the Judge.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.