Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

If I found out a neighbor of mine was registered with the sex

Customer Question

If I found out a neighbor of mine was registered with the sex offender website in texas and I sent out letters to the neighbors annoymously, would kind of grief could I ensue If the offender figures out it was I that mailed out the letters.
I was thinking of sending out the printout from the website with his picture and the address to the neighbors on either side of his house.
Can he sue me for deformation or take any type of legal action against me?
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Hello. My name is Alex and I will be happy to answer your question.

There is no criminal law that prohibits someone from mailing out public information on sex offenders.

However, such action is not generally recommended this action, since unsolicited mailings can subject you to harassment claims by the very neighbors you would be sending such printouts to.

It is much better idea to contact the police agency that registers the offender and encourage your local police agency to hold a community meeting and at such community meeting, police officers can handout correct information related to any sex offender so correct information can be given out by the police officers.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How likely would a neighbor consider this information as harrassment?

If I received info in the mail about my next door neighbor being a pediphile, especially if I had young teenage girls living next to him, I'd be thankful

Dear Karen,

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, people are different and while some might be thankful, others might take offense to such unsolicited anonymous mailing or simply treat it a some type of hoax or harassment.

There is really no way to predict whether any of your neighbors might negatively react to such mailing, but it is generally not recommended by courts and law enforcement agencies for citizens to engage in the activity that you have described, not to mention that a sex offender might find out about it and attempt some type of retaliation against you personally.

I wish you the best of luck!
Do you have any related follow up questions for me?