CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

Why must I produce my marriage license to get my drivers license

Why must I produce my marriage license to get my driver's license in the sate of Nevada when my name has not changed and I have been married for 33 yrs? My husband did not have to do this, as a women this is not right!

William B. Esq. :

Dear Customer, thank you for choosing Just Answer. I do not know what transpired at the DMV office during your visit. The DMV regulations and requirements only ask for a marriage license (or other document evidencing a name change from the document being produced to the name requested on the new Nevada identification) in those circumstances where the applicant has one name on their out of state ID, and is requesting a different name be placed on their Nevada ID http://www.dmvnv.com/newresident.htm This applies to both genders.

Customer:

So since my name DID not change why was I made to provide my marriage license?

Customer:

Why is Nevada allowed to ask for proof of citizenship and AZ is not?

William B. Esq. :

I am not certain (again, I was not there so I am at a loss as to why you were asked for it). You may be able to follow up with your issue using the Department's general phone bank if you are unable to reach a suitable supervisor or manager in the department to discuss this issue: http://www.dmvnv.com/telephone.htm

William B. Esq. :

My experience with the Nevada DMV is that they are generally very responsive and will take action to address your issue (I cannot guarantee any particular outcome, but they do not ignore citizen complaints or concerns).

Customer:

Well It won't happen again as I am moving back to AZ where women are not treated as second class citizens