How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Sam Your Own Question

Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 26044
Experience:  20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On June 6th, 2013 my ex-wife and I appeared in front of a private

Resolved Question:

On June 6th, 2013 my ex-wife and I appeared in front of a private judge and completed our dissolution of marriage. Part of our dissolution included a separation agreement which specified that "The household goods and furniture have previously been divided equitably between the parties, and each party shall retain the items in his or her respective possession as of the effective date of this Agreement". The separation agreement also included verbiage "Husband shall have exclusive use of the Marital Residence." Therefore, all furniture items and household goods in the house are inferred to be in my possession. This separation agreement was also signed and notarized in front of an attorney.

Post our dissolution I made a verbal agreement with my ex-spouse to remove a few additional furniture items from my house. On June 15th, my ex wife arrived at the house while I was not present and removed a significant amount of furniture above and beyond our verbal agreement. Additionally, she damaged some walls while removing lighting and wall fixtures. I had made a video recording that same morning showing the state of the house, all the furniture possessions, and post-it-notes applied on various items to make clearer that they were not to be removed or damaged. My ex wife also removed $600 in cash from my bedroom and left a note saying why she took it (claiming false justification). I have pictures and video from later that evening showing the state of the house and the items removed outside our agreement.

I filed a police report that evening and the police officer said he considered this a civil matter and not a criminal matter. Is his assessment likely correct that this is not a criminal theft? Consequently, if this is not a criminal case I assume I would have to pursue this matter in Licking County (Ohio) Small Claims Court. Since Small Claims Court cannot order persons to return property, could I seek the monetary value of the property removed and damage done to the property?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question


I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

Well it could be a criminal matter with the theft of the money - but because it is so close to the dissolution of the marriage the police are not going to get involved and will leave to the civil courts, unfortunately


And so yes you need to pursue it in small claims court - and you will have to request the value of the belongings. And then, of course, she can give you the money or return the items.


Small claims is relatively an easy process. I suggest you go to the clerk of the court in the county where you live and where the things were taken and request the packet of forms to file -


Before you do that, however, I suggest you to consider writing her a letter stating that she has breached the verbal agreement and that the following items are missing which were not part of the agreement - and the $600 should not have been taken either and that you want them returned. State that if she does not return them within 7 days of receipt of the letter you will have no other option but to file in small claims court


Mail this letter certified with a return receipt requested.


If she does not return the items or give the money then file the lawsuit.


This letter is important because it shows the court that you tried to settle this out of court and that she is not going to



Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 26044
Experience: 20 years of experience practicing law.
Sam and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.