Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  14 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs

I was stopped by a traffic officer for driving on an nterstate

Customer Question

I was stopped by a traffic officer for driving on an nterstate ramp that had been closed. I did not see the sign and stopped immediatly when I saw flashing lights. The officer asked me if I did not see the sign which I did not. it was late at night and even though he did not ask me I suspecteded he yhought I had been drinking. He asked me to follow him back up to a McDonalds and I parked in parking lot. He gave me a ticket for driving on a closed road which I signed. He then asked if I had someone to come gert me and that if I drove I would go to jail. He never asked me about drinking or asked me to take a test. After an Hour I could not find someone to come get me so I drove home. I am not sure if I am in trouble for that. The ticket says nothing about DUI and I thought once I signed ticket I could leave.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
Are you concerned about being charged with a DUI?
.
How long ago was this?
.
Were you just given a ticket and the officer left?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

not sure what I could be charged with. Seems DUI would not work since never had any kind of test he did not even ask me. Just the statement if I drove I was going to jail scares me.

It wa Friday

Yes he gave me ticket for driving on closed road then left. He was parking at entramnce to ramp about 1/4 mile away in case people went down the ramp like me.

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I would opine that there is a virtual zero chance of you being charged with anything more than you have already been. The officer has no proof of any drinking, no field sobriety tests were performed and no portable breathilyzer test was done. Since he has no idea whether you drove home or someone came and got you, I think you have nothing to worry about.
.
The only thing you have to deal with is the driving on a closed highway ticket.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any idea why he would tell me if I drove I would go to jail. Was it just to scare me in case I was drunk. Guess that is what has me upset.

Thanks for you answer. That is what I thought but feel more confident now

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any idea why he would tell me if I drove I would go to jail. Was it just to scare me in case I was drunk.
.
That is exactly why he told you that. If he really thought you were drunk he would have arrested you. He must have thought you were either tired or inattentive, so he decided to scare you be threatening to arrest you if you drove.
.
.
Thanks
Barrister, Attorney
Experience: 14 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Thanks so much for the positive rating and generous bonus, it is very much appreciated!

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. Please feel free to ask for me if you need help with anything in the future and I will do my level best to help or get you to someone who can.

.