Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.

My son backed out of our driveway today and hit a car parked

My son backed out of our driveway today and hit a car parked in the street directly in front of the driveway right of way. Who's fault is this?

Hitting a car that is parked will always be ruled the fault of the driver. The standard rule is that a driver has the duty to avoid hitting whatever is in his path, parked legally or not.

You can be sure that your insurance carrier will see it that way and pay for the damage to the other car.

I hope this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. I thank you for submitting your question to Pearl-Just Answer. We appreciate your business. If you need clarification or additional information, please send me a Reply and I will be happy to explain further. Please consult a local attorney to verify the accuracy of this information according to your state's laws.