Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

got a letter from a private investigator in Georgia about a

got a letter from a private investigator in Georgia about a bad check written 14 years ago in pa. they are calling it fraud do they have a legal claim and they did not sign the letter
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. You need not worry about this. You are beyond all possible Pennsylvania statute of limitations. On the civil side, the statute of limitations if 4 years. On the criminal side, a misdemeanor charge statute of limitation is 2 years; a felony fraud charge would have a 3 year statute of limitations. So, send him a certified, return receipt requested letter explaining why you do not owe this debt and demand he immediately cease and desist all further efforts to contact you and/or anyone else to collect this debt. Inform him that any efforts to do otherwise will constitute a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and that you will report each and every violation to the Federal Trade Commission. Each violation carries at least a $1,000 fine, so that should be the end of things for you.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: