Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

I had a problem with a child I am the guardian of and someone

Customer Question

I had a problem with a child I am the guardian of and someone had an attorney they knew call me and I told him that I already had an attorney and he insisted I have him handle the situation. I called him and told him I already had started working with the other attorney and I then get a call from him that he had rescheduled the hearing and solved the problem while I was on my way driving to the hearing. He told me not to go to the hearing but I wasn't going to let the other attorney stand there looking stupid since he had driven several miles to be there. Two days later the attorney that tried to get me to hire him called me and said if I didn't hire him the child would be put out of school and that I didn't realize all the trouble he was in. He wanted $2500 immediately or the child would not graduate. He said he would take care of the trouble. I never heard from him again and the school said there was no problem and the child graduated, so I contacted him and wanted a refund since all he did was make two phone calls, and asked for an itemized bill and came to my home and had the 18 year old child sign what was represented as a contract to help with his drug problem and it was a contract to hire him for his $2500 dollars. I want to know what I can do about this slimeball
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with Excellent Service,

I am so sorry you were subjected to this. It is lawyers like him who give all lawyers a bad name. It is against the Code of Conduct and the Disciplinary Rules to solicit a client, let alone intimidate an individual and extort money from that individual. Also, he had no right to have the child sign anything, even though the child was 18 because you were the child's guardian and everything should have gone through you. You should not have paid him anything. You should immediately report him to the Ohio Attorney Disciplinary Board and you will not only get a full refund of the $2,500, but he will also be brought up on charges of violating the Code of Conduct and the Disciplinary Rules. You can download a Complaint form from the Official website of the Ohio Office of Disciplinary Counsel,

http://www.supremecourt.ohio.gov/DisciplinarySys/odc/complaint.asp

___________________________________________________________________

Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you,

Bonus and Positive Feedback on survey is very much appreciated,

ANDREA

Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience: 25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do I need a lawyer to file this complaint?????

He was pretending to write a plan to help the child with the drug problem and when I went to read it he grabbed it off of me and told him to sign and put the wrong date. Then he folded the paper and put it in an envelope ...I did not read it until after he left and I was furious. He had listed what he claimed to have done to help him with going to the prom and graduating....not a thing about drugs and the cost of $2500 with no required itemized bill and no refund.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

2013 9:02 AM EST

Hi, again, Thank you for your follow up question and the opportunity to explain further. Thank you also for the "Excellent Service" rating, I appreciate it greatly. If you have additional questions, or questions in the future, please feel free to ask for me by typing my name at the beginning of your question, like this,

"For Andrea only .......... "

In Answer to your follow up questions,

1. No, You do not need a lawyer to file the Complaint against the lawyer;

2. The Disciplinary Rules do not allow a lawyer to keep any part of a fee if it has not been earned, and it does not appear that this lawyer earned any part of that fee, therefore, this is another violation in addition to "soliciting" a client which I stated in my previous Answer. Also, you are entitled to an "Itemized bill for Legal Services Rendered" because that necessarily must describe everything the lawyer did, the date on which the service was performed, and the amount of time it took for each service. When a lawyer cannot justify the fee he is charging, he will not send an itemized bill. But, the lawyer is required to do so for the client and he will have to explain his failure to do so to the Attorney Disciplinary Board,

_____________________________________________________________________

Please be kind enough to rate "Excellent Service" so that I receive credit

for assisting you, Bonus and Positive Feedback on survey is very much appreciated,

ANDREA

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you this lawyer has tried to take advantage thinking I am old and

white and the child is biracial and he said I don't understand blacks, he is African-American. He doesn't know that I have two master degrees in ed and worked in Youngstown, OH for 32 years. Thank you for your help

You are most welcome. In this day and age, you would think that people would be more concerned with more important things than the color of their skin. A child is a child and a person is a person, no matter what their color. The problems are the same and one would hope that the solutions would be the same. That can only happen when people stop focusing on color and start focusing on solutions.

If this individual does not know your level of education, keep it that way. I am a firm believer that there is nothing like the element of surprise. You can spring it on him at the right time, like when the Disciplinary Board is suspending his License to practice law, :)

Let me know if I can be of any further service,

ANDREA