Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Attorney
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience
12176198

My checks were estoled.and some checks were cashed in diferenta

My checks were estoled.and some checks were cashed in diferenta checks casher,I filed a clame to my bank and they denied my claim,what can i do in thiscase?
Hello.

I would suggest filing a police report with the local police department. They can try to track down when and where the stolen checks were cashed and see if they can pull surveillance footage from those locations and try to identify the person through that. If they are able to charge someone the prosecutor's office can try to get your money back through a restitution order.

You can also try reporting the bank to your state's Attorney General's Office and its Consumer Division. They may be able to assist you with the bank and trying to recover your money.

You may also be able to sue the bank for negligence in cashing the check (ie not checking the signature before paying it).

It is a good idea to start with the police report, however, because they may agree to investigate it and take most of the work off of you.