xavierjd, Attorney
Experience:  20+ yrs in criminal, landlord/tenant, family, & small claims

My friend left drugs in my car if I take it down to the police

My friend left drugs in my car if I take it down to the police station n turn them in could I still get in trouble even if I can prove there not mine
Thanks for using It will be my pleasure to assist you today.

Have you ever been convicted of a drug crime before?

In what part of your car did your friends leave the drugs?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have never been in trouble for anything he left them in trunk n glovebox

If you go to the police station, make sure that you take your vehicle and leave the drugs in the places that your "friends" left them.

You can turn your friends in to the police for possessing the drugs.

You CANNOT be charged with the crime of possession of the drugs UNLESS the prosecutor can PROVE BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT that you KNEW the drugs were in your vehicle and, therefore that you possessed them. An important element of the crime of "possession" of drugs is KNOWLEDGE. If you take your vehicle to the police department and tell the police what you "found" in your vehicle, and who put them there, it is HIGHLY unlikely that you would be charged with any crime. And, even in you were charged with the crime of "possession of drugs," unless the prosecutor can prove the element of "knowledge," you MUST be found NOT GUILTY. This is because the prosecutor must prove EACH AND EVERY element of a crime BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT. If you had NO KNOWLEDGE, then you will not be charged, or if you are charged, you would be found NOT GUILTY.

If you go to the police, you must be prepared to give up the names of your friends who put the drugs into your car. You may be asked questions about how they got there and how it is that you found then. Also, you may be asked to "help" the police by not only giving up their names, but also possibly setting up your friends for a drug buy by an undercover officer. This is only a possibility.

I hope you find this information useful.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you for your business!

Many customers have asked how they can specifically direct a question to me in the future. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "xavierjd” in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

***Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace the advice or assistance of an attorney licensed to practice law in your state. If you need any more information, please do not hesitate to ask. Thank you!

Thank you so much for the "excellent service" rating! It is greatly appreciated and I am glad that you found the information useful.

If you have future questions, you can specifically request me by name as the expert in the subject line.

Thanks again,