TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

I bought a projector from a guy

I bought a projector from a guy on craigs list and on day 1 it proves to be faulty.

He wont return me the money. $1200

Thank you for your question.

I see you are writing from Iceland. Can you tell me where the seller is located?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Iceland. It's the "icelandic" craigs list.

Thank you.

I'm going to have to opt out for you as your question needs to be answered either specifically by an Icelandic or other European attorney.

Please do not respond as this may delay another expert from picking up the question.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you just tell me how this would be solved in the us?

I can do that, and I can tell you that the solution would be similar in Iceland.

Essentially, the question is whether you purchased the product "as is" or whether there was any misrepresentation as to whether or not the projector functioned.

Did the seller make any sort of representation regarding the projector's functionaility to you which was untrue?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All it really said was, great projector - replaced the bulb 2 months ago. This is a awesome machine.

That's all

Well that certainly implies that it works correctly.

What you would need to do is bring a claim against the seller in the local court for misrepresentation and breach of contract. You would ask for a return of the money you paid on the machine, plus your legal expenses for filing the lawsuit.

In the US, you would do this in a small claims court and it would not require hiring an attorney. I'm not certain of what the procedure would be in Iceland.
I saw that you rated my services as poor. I specifically opted out because I told you that I did not know the law in Iceland. You asked me how this case would be handled in the US, and I've told you the answer. Why are you rating my personal service as poor? That certainly seems unfair given the fact that I've told you that I don't know how you would handle this in Iceland.

I'm going to opt out again and ask that you refrain from further rating until you get the answer you are satisfied with.

If you have any other questions I can answer for you, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My english is not the best. I thought I gave you 4 stars.

So, just to be clear, were you satisfied with the answer that I provided you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, no problem! Good answers, I give you 5 stars.

No, you have now rated me even worse.

It's the opposite of what you are rating me with.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I dont understand... opposite of what? So, 1 star for you? I am very confused. Really, I am very happy with your answers. You tried to help me with my problems even if you dont know my country law. You still tried. And I told you 5 stars! I cannot give you more. Very happy.

OK....I understand that you may be confused. I'm going to refer the question over to customer service to adjust it accordingly.

Thanks for using our service and sorry for the confusion on payment.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You are charging me? Now I am not happy.

This is a pay for service. It is not free. My time as a professional attorney is compensated by your deposit.

If you do not want to be charged, then you should not use this service. It is not free information.

Regardless, please stop rating at all. I'll refer you to customer service.