When you wish to sponsor someone for Lawful Permanent Residency
(greencard) based on marriage, you may do so two ways:
1) Marry them abroad and then sponsor them as a husband; or
2) Ask them to cover over via a fiance visa, marry them, and then sponsor them as a husband.
Both have related but different ways in going about doing so.MARRIAGE ABROAD
1) Marry him abroad (does not really matter where provided you can get proof of marriage);
2) Sponsor him using the I-130 petition - see here
The filing fee is $420 plus miscellaneous fees, and the wait time is normally about 6-8 months on average. He should then get his greencard visa and may come over.MARRIAGE IN USA
If you plan to marry him inside the USA, then there is an extra step:
1) Sponsor him using the K1 (fiance) visa - see here
. The petition used is the I-129F - here
. The cost is $340 for filing. The step by step on filing the K1 can be found here
. Wait time is about 6-8 months on average.
2) Once he gets here, you marry him, and then file to adjust him on a greencard based on marriage using the I-130/I-485 package. See here
. Cost is $1,405 for the I-130/I-485 package. He may work while the I-130/I-485 is pending if you send in an Application for Employment Authorization with the I-130/I-485.
An attorney for this is recommended - either way - and I can help you find one if you'd like.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Best of luck.
Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY
button to keep chatting, or RATE
my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces
and then submit
, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct.
I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating